Review: Somebody Up There Hates You


Author: Hollis Seamon
Genre: YA.
Rating: đŸ«đŸ«đŸ«đŸ«

Blurb:

Chemo, radiation, a zillion surgeries, watching my mom age twenty years in twenty months: if that’s part of the Big Dude’s plan, then it’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? Somebody Up There Hates You.

SUTHY has landed me here in this hospice, where we—that’s me and Sylvie—are the only people under 30 in the whole place, sweartogod. But I’m not dead yet. I still need to keep things interesting. Sylvie, too. I mean, we’re kids, hospice-hostages or not. We freak out visitors; I get my uncle to sneak me out for one insane Halloween night. Stuff like that. And Sylvie wants to make things even more interesting. That girl’s got big plans.

Only Sylvie’s father is so nuclear-blasted by what’s happened to his little girl, he glows orange, I swear. That’s one scary man, and he’s not real fond of me. So we got a major family feud going on, right here in hospice. DO NOT CROSS line running down the middle of the hall, me on one side, her on the other. It’s crazy.
In the middle of all of this, really, there’s just me and Sylvie, a guy and a girl. And we want to live, in our way, by our own rules, in whatever time we’ve got. We will pack in some living before we go, trust me.

Cover Review:

The cover is abstract, but colorful and I like it. The crown relates to the storyline well too. 

Book Review:

Richie was such a fun character to read. Even though he knew he was dying, he still lived everyday to the fullest. So did Sylvie. 

At first, I had thought that this book seemed so much like The Fault In Our Stars. Two teenagers, suffering with cancer fall in love. 

But it's not. Because Richie and Sylvie already know they're going to die. That's why they're in the hospice. And yet they fall in love.

My favorite part though, was the ending. Because the author did not tell us whether they die or not. In a way, they're both still alive. And that's a happy ending, isn't it? 

Oh and I also loved how the author didn't go into the technical (medical?) details of their illness. I'm glad Richie thought it'd be too boring for us to read, because he was absolutely right.

I picked this book up on a whim, but I'm glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. 


Buy Somebody Up There Hates You now:

7 comments:

  1. I actually thought it was going to be more of a comedy based on the title, before I read the synopsis. It actually sounds quite emotional, though that may not be the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting and quite emotional. Thanks for sharing.
    Gemma @ www.gemmasbooknook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like this would be a tear-jerker. I'm intrigued though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone with chronic illnesses, I might have to check that out. I always tell my husband I must have been an awful person in a past life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same thing about it when I read the blurb, that it seems so much like TFIOS. But glad to hear it is not.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete
  6. This definitely sounds interesting. I haven't heard of or read this book before. Great review and the new font works well :)

    Megan @ Ginger Mom & the Kindle Quest

    ReplyDelete

A Tiny Bookish Survey! :)

Hiya Everyone! I'd love to know what you're looking for in a Book Blog, so I can improve myself! What kind of blogs wo...